5 Things MassComm UiTM Freshmen Should Know


I noticed a recurring spike with my UiTM-related posts and I honestly appreciate every single visit that had been made and I hope that those tips could help all those who are about to start their journey as a UiTM MassComm Diploma student! So to celebrate the new intake of MassComm students, this post will be discussing 5 things I would share to my juniors as a MassComm student. All pointers are from my own personal experience and opinions so I do hope at least a couple of them would be able to help you guys out!



➊ MassComm is NOT fun and games.

There is this myth that I hear from many people who aren't familiar with Communication students and that is "MassComm is not hard" or "MassComm students have it easy". I have never studied in any other programme so I cannot judge all too hard but from what I see, we DEFINITELY do not have it easy. 
Let's see, I've heard the groans of the students who study medicine or hard science when it comes to memorizing hundreds of terms and plowing through thick expensive textbooks. I've seen the sweat and tears of art students coming up with a design of a huge art project. I've watched business students crack their brains in calculating accounts and managing corporate crises. 

Well let me tell you, that MassComm students can/have to do all the above jobs too. We may not study Advanced Biology but we have to know the terms in Psychology, Sociology and many other complicated books. And they aren't fooling around with the number of pages too. We also study photography, design, advertising and would have too tug our creativity to its maximum in order to create a masterpiece. Oh don't forget all the video assignments too. And business? MassComm students lie in the heart of business ethics where we assemble and build events from its core and interview highly ranked officials from politicians to celebrities. Entrepreneurship, public relations, event management, corporate communication, public speaking are just some of the core subjects that we have to master. 

So yes. Don't underestimate MassComm or you'll be in big trouble. 



➋ MassComm IS fun and games.

Now here's the awesome part, especially for all you extroverts out there. The assignments will lead you to various of fun adventures especially those hectic interviews and events. It will be tiresome but what is not fun about a day-trip to KL with your friends for an interview? If you are good at networking, you are able to be in the center of fantastic events and meet artists, professionals and other notable people. Your life is not conformed in the university campus because...honestly, MassComm will make you do assignments outside of the campus grounds. Do the interview for a few hours then go to the nearest mall and watch a movie or play a few rounds of bowling! "All work and no play" does not reflect MassComm because we work AND play at the same time. Hahaha...

Just be sure to balance it out. Don't be subdued by the luxury of having permission to skip class and travel to the cities. Pay attention to your financial standings and make sure to have a secure plan whenever you have to travel far in order to get your assignments done. Basically, jangan culture shock sangat. This means that, yes you will obtain so much freedom in university and in MassComm but don't take it too far. Stay disciplined and you'll be just fine. 



➌ Stay true to yourself.

This is something that happened to me personally. Being in MassComm, I'm surrounded by people who are outspoken and stylish in both what they wear and by their personality. Seeing how popular and outgoing they are made me feel in awe every time I see them and it actually crippled me from being the person I wanted to be and...there were moments that I am not proud of especially in regards of my religion. An example is how I became too comfortable to the point I took off my hijab so easily. Don't get me wrong, I don't support shaming Muslim girls who do not wear hijab. To me, that is something very private and special between them and Allah S.W.T and I will never EVER judge a girl simply because they don't wear a piece of cloth over their head. 

But, as I finished my first year, I realized how self-destructing it was to think that I should 'follow the trend' or be a complete part of the society I was in. Alhamdulillah, I had great friends who appreciated me exactly how I was with all the flaws in my past and now, I am happy to say that I have reached a point in my life where I don't care about having to fit in. MassComm teaches you to be an open-minded critical thinker and also to be an independent individual in such huge industries. 



➍ Have an open mind.

When people say "Don't be judgemental!" I would like to slap them in the face and say, "So what, you expect everyone to be mindless robots??"
Judging something or someone is a natural cognitive motion. Everyone has opinions, values and beliefs that are unique to each individual. If you don't judge, you aren't a thinker. To me, the correct phrase is "Be more open-minded". A person with an open mind thinks with many different views and perspective. They don't conform their thoughts to one specific conclusion but try to empathize with the situation or person that they are judging before coming up with numerous reasoning behind their thoughts. 

Trust me, in MassComm, you are going to judge everyone you meet because there are just so many different types of people in MassComm! Seriously, I am still in awe with the many unique people I have met within the past two years... you will meet people of different cultural upbringings, people who speak in more than two languages, people of different sexuality (yes, get ready for this) and many more.

But just because someone does not make you feel happy does not mean you should dislike that person simply based on how you perceive them. Everyone has their own history and upbringing so don't be too harsh on the people you don't fancy. Try to be more emphatic before judging someone. You'll save yourself from all the dramatic gossips and rubbish talk. 



➎ You will change.

Now, this may seem contradicting with my third tip but...you have to change at some point. Be yourself when it comes to personality and attitude but don't stay stagnant. If you notice something if a bit off with yourself, do something about it. 

If you are shy, learn how to speak up,
If you are outspoken, learn to be more courteous and ethical.
If you are a procrastinator, try to be more productive.
If you lose friends, find new ones.
If you make new friends, cherish them.

Try to be the better version of yourself everyday because in university, everyone will go through so many conflicts in order to find themselves. This is not unique to MassComm; everyone will change. So accept it. Don't worry about making mistakes. Because every time a person makes a mistake, they gain the opportunity to correct and change for the better.

Please don't be afraid of making stupid mistakes. I've done so many that it drives me crazy whenever I thought about them...but each one made me learn to get up every time I fall even when there is nobody to help me. Here's a little quote that I discovered from a cafe I used to go in Melaka;

"What is the secret to success? RIGHT DECISIONS. How do make right decisions? EXPERIENCE. How do you get experience? WRONG DECISIONS."

University life will open so many doors for you to grow as a person. So don't be scared and just live your life as a college student to the fullest! I wish you all the best of luck...and wish me luck for my final semester as a Diploma student. Hehehehehe...what a bittersweet feeling.


Anyways, assalamualaikum & ciao!



| Anis Diana


Popular Posts