K-Poppin' - What is K-POP to me?



Well hello there~! I posted a serious topic yesterday and I honestly thought that I would brighten things up today before my Biology exam tomorrow by talking about things I love and as a teenager, I have found solace in a world called K-Pop. Whether you like, love or hate it, it is our own personal opinion. So for today, I will talk about my personal thoughts on K-Pop.

In my country as of today, I have seen many changes in my age generation and their preference towards K-Pop. A few years ago, many thought of K-Pop as 'boring' simply because they do not understand the language and I thought that was pretty short-minded. I was really offended when people (especially boys) started calling K-Pop male idols 'gay' simply because of their slanted eyes, make-up and the fact that they dance...all I could say was "WTF...."

Today, however, I simply smile when I see the people who mocked K-Pop actually talking about a few idol groups and popular variety shows such as Running Man and some actually became fans of this subculture. Personally, I would like to taunt them due to what they have said about K-Pop from before but I realise that K-Pop actually brought people together...even when our mindsets and opinions were so different before. So in the end, I simply support them and as a more experienced person in the genre of K-Pop, I gave them sites where they can watch their favourite shows or ways to find their favourite idol group's albums.

I have found K-Pop around 5 years ago and that was when a few of my friends were going C.R.A.Z.Y about Super Junior's song 'Sorry Sorry'. I, however, was not interested in Super Junior at the time (don't kill me!) and actually knew about other groups like DBSK, SS501 and SHINee from a few Anime Music Videos. I began listening to certain songs and really liked the music though I did not have any interest to know about the groups and bands themselves.

It was during 2011 that I was going through a slightly self-destructing time when I had family problems, peer pressure and the stress from my PMR examinations. I truly felt like I was alone and that I had no future. I did some terrible things such as cutting...it was an awful state of time for me and I loathed myself. Around August 2011, when I truly felt numb and scarred, I came across SHINee's 'Hello' Music Video. I never actually thought that I would like the song but it was actually the boys' smiles that truly caught my eye...they were so genuine and it slowly made my lips curve up into a smile for the first time in months! When I realised that I was actually smiling despite all the things happening in my life, I broke down and cried really hard...but the minute I stopped, I felt SO much lighter and better. That was the start of my time as a Shawol and as of today, I am a proud Shawol of 2 years and I have never regretted becoming a die-hard fan ever since.






I was never 'addicted' into K-Pop...it was a thing that I liked and I would always go back to simply for entertainment purposes. I do have a slight craze for the variety shows such as Running Man, Shinhwa Broadcast and certain K-Dramas that just make me laugh my guts out. It is nice to just laugh and make yourself feel happy at times. ^_^

So in a conclusion, K-Pop is actually a source of happiness for me. Whenever I feel stressed out during studying, I would just get on to my laptop and watch some Running Man episodes or K-Pop music videos. I never think of it as an addiction or something that may bring my actual life down...I mean, that is all up to your self-discipline and responsibilities. I never want to think of something so entertaining as a burden. So yeah~ that is K-Pop to me!

A few of my favourites relating to K-Music, K-Variety or K-Dramas;

K-Music (favourite artists, groups or bands):

  • SHINee
  • Glen Check
  • Shinhwa
  • Roy Kim
  • Ailee
  • NU'EST
  • After School
  • Girls' Generation
  • Big Bang
  • U-KISS
  • BoA
  • DBSK (TVXQ & JYJ)

K-Variety:
  • Running Man (Yoo Jae Suk<3333)
  • Shinhwa Broadcast
  • Hello Counselor
  • Star King
K-Dramas:
  • The Master's Sun
  • God of Study
  • Ghost
  • My Girl
  • Sassy Girl, Chun-Hyang
  • Boys Over Flowers



These are just a few of my favourites...I love so much more but these are what I lean towards the most~ SHINee, Shinhwa, Running Man, So Ji Sub (teeheehee~)... Thanks for reading and do tell me about YOUR opinion on the Hallyu Wave...or just about K-Pop in general down below~ I'd love to read it and I will respond too~ ^_^



Ciao~






Comments

Popular Posts